Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Compiz dilemmas

I have decided to start this blog after having some serious dilemmas where to go with T-ish theme series. So I feel now is the time to share them with you. Also, I will publish here my ongoing thinking about further enhancement and development of T-ish series.

So, to the first post:

T-ish themes have arrived where I wanted them when I started modding gnome user interface. They are fast and pretty slick. They all have finished and complete feeling regardless you like them or not. Overall I'm pretty satisfied with the outcomes. Metacity/Gnome now looks and behaves (some minor quirks aside) as I thought it should.

Alas, I am not using Metacity anymore :(( I've started to experiment with compiz/aiglx and didn't go back again. Compiz/Aiglx (and Glx for that matter) shows so many GUI improvements that ordinary Metacity seems heavily outdated now. Except one little thing: compiz does not support themeing yet. Colors can be changed by tweaking GTK2 theme and that is as far as it goes yet.

I've tried T-ish themes with Compiz and they look decent. But unfortunately IMHO not decent enough. I see there is some room to make improvements, but that will involve changing GTK2 theme in order to do so. So my dilemmas are:

1. Should I fork another serie of theme sets just for Compiz?
2. Should I rework existing themes in order to look better with Compiz and leave the packed as they are?
3. Or do you think they look good enough and I should leave them as they are?

Please comment.

Also, I'm a big fan of unobtrusive window borders that fit seamlessly with GTK theme (with no border line) as in T-ish because I don't see the need for distinctive window border anymore I'd like to see that achievable in Compiz so if anyone from Compiz team read this, please make it possible :)))

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home